Valley Dual Language Program
"Valley's Dual Language Program is very successful and should be considered a model program in the state!" -Dr. Kathryn Lindholm-Leary
Valley's Dual Language program offers students the unique opportunity to learn within the context of a bilingual, bicultural classroom.
The 3 main goals of our program:
- Students will achieve bilingual proficiency in both English and Spanish
- Students will reach high levels of academic achievement in both languages
- Students will become cross-cultural ambassadors for our school, community, and society.
The Dual Language program at Valley Elementary is a 90/10 Two-Way Immersion Program — our classrooms consist of an equal number of native English-speaking and native Spanish-speaking students. Our teachers are highly qualified and state certified to teach in two languages. They use the same curriculum, standards, and assessments as other teachers in the Poway Unified School District. Our focus of instruction is not on the learning of two languages, but rather on the learning of academic content by using two languages. You can explore our website further to learn more about the design of our program, the solid research behind it, and its benefits to students.
Our 90/10 Dual Language program creates academically competent, bilingual, and biliterate students through research-based practice and differentiated instruction. We will achieve our program goals while enriching all second language learners in a cross cultural environment.
· Students achieve proficiency in both English and Spanish
· Students achieve academically at or above grade level in both languages
· Students develop cross-cultural understanding and respect, as well as experience working and playing in a multi-cultural setting
· Parents are encouraged to take an active role in their child’s long-term education
· Biliteracy gives students greater career opportunities
· Learning a second language helps develop strong thinking and reasoning skills useful for problem-solving in math and science
· Students develop a high level of self-esteem and confidence
· Biliteracy helps prepare students to meet the challenges of a global society
Questions? Comments? send them to Maritza Maldonado, DL program coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (858) 748-2007 ext.2152